The Beginning of Christian Consciousness

From Eugene Peterson’s A Long Obedience in the Same Direction:

Christian consciousness begins in the painful realization that what we had assumed was the truth is in fact a lie. Prayer is immediate: “Deliver me, O Lord, from lying lips, from deceitful tongue” (Psalm 120). Rescue me from the lies of advertisers who claim to know what I need and I desire, from the lies of entertainers who promise a cheap way to joy, from the lies of politicians who pretend to instruct me in power and morality, from he psychologists who offer to shape my behavior and my morals so that I will live long, happily and successfully, from the lies of religionists who “heal the wounds of this people lightly,” from the lies of moralists who pretend to promote me to the office of captain of my fate, from lies of pastors who “leave the commandment of God, and hold fast the traditions of men” (mark 7:8). Rescue me from the person who tells me of life and omits Christ, who is wise in the ways of the world and ignores the movement of the Spirit.

…they are lies…because they claim to tell us who we are and omit everything about our origin in God and destiny in God. They talk about the world without telling us that God made it. They tell us about our bodies without telling us that they are [to be] temples of the Holy Spirit. They instruct us in love without telling us about the God who loves and gave himself for us.