Christian Smith, Moralistic Therapeutic Deism, and the Gospel
The five points of Moralistic Therapeutic Deism as defined by Christian Smith are these:
1. A God exists who created and orders the world and watches over human life on earth.
2. God wants people to be good, nice, and fair to each other, as taught in the Bible and by most world religions.
3. The central goal of life is to be happy and to feel good about oneself.
4. God does not need to be particularly involved in one’s life except when he is needed to resolve a problem.
5. Good people go to heaven when they die.
Sadly, Moral Therapeutic Deism is what is being preached in the vast majority of the “seeker churches” in our land today. Are you a Christian or a Moral Therapeutic Deist?