Politics

Dude, What are You?

This is the season in which I am frequently inquired, "Pastor Heath, where do you stand politically" or, as I have been more recently asked, "Are you a stink'n Democrat?" (I'm not really sure why several people have recently wondered if I was a Democrat; it must have been a passing comment I made during a study or sermon or something. I'm often critical of the "Christian Right" so perhaps that's why some people have thought I'm a Democrat.) Well, to set the record straight, I am not a Democrat! And I don't mind telling people where I stand politically. I think it's a good question and I think the question can always lead into excellent discussions too!

SO, here it is - I'm neither Republican or Democratic, I'm finding myself to be more and more in the Libertarian camp. (I guess I would like to classify myself a personally conservative libertarian, but a Libertarian nonetheless.) What's a Libertarian? Well, basically "Libertarians believe in, and pursue, personal freedom while maintaining personal responsibility. The Libertarian Party itself serves a much larger pro-liberty community with the specific mission of electing Libertarians to public office." Here a few places for you read for yourself about Libertarianism (though, undoubtedly, I do not believe nor ascribe to all the things stated at the following sites!!!) - Libertarianism - Wikipedia, FAQ's about the Libertarian Party, Libertarian Party.

I lean towards Libertarian views because I believe Libertarianism holds true to the value system that this great nation was built upon - Life and Liberty for all. I believe it forces people to take responsibility for their own lives and actions. I believe it pushes people to get involved in our democracy - to really know the issues at hand and vote! Rather than mandating (i.e. forcing without rational explanation) a particular bent of morality, I believe it puts the responsibility back into the hands of the church to be the voice of rational morality and faith. I believe it paves the way for a more free Free Market - and I believe free market trade is the best way out of recession and poverty (not only for USA but for all nations).

What about you? Where do you stand? Here's a fun little test to see - World's Smallest Political Test?

So, who's my choice amongst current the presidential hopefuls? Well, I'm not completely sure yet, but I'm heavily leaning towards one. And though Ron Paul is not the perfect candidate for me (I'm still curious about some of his foreign policies & homeland security), I think he's the best candidate running. Huckabee, aside from the wacky name, seems like a tremendous man and a very competent leader, as does Romney. But neither seem to hold to the Libertarian view - though Huckabee is pretty close on some issues. So, Ron Paul has slowly but surely gathered my personal support; and he seems to embody many of the things I want in a President.

Wanna know more about Ron Paul? Here's a great little web site built for the sole purpose of introducing you to good 'ol Ronny - http://www.ronpaulintro.com/.